Saturday, August 25, 2007

IS IT RIGHT TO HUNT?

Hunting is an activities created by our ancestors a long time ago. The purpose of it is to prevent the extinction of humans being. A part of me was grateful for our smartness but the other side of me says otherwise…

Hunting is still an event that is being practiced by human nowadays, but the purpose of it had long evolved into, simply, for the money that is gain from those killed animals or just purely for the pleasure while doing the process.
I could still remember… a couple of weeks back, my friends and I was having some short conversations while waiting for our lecturer to arrive, this is how the conversation goes…

Girl A: so did you do anything interesting last weekend?
Boy A: I went hunting…
(Group woo-ing)
Girl B: wow that’s so cool!
Girl A: so did you gun down anything?
Boy A: yeah! I shot some birds and a dog!
Girl B: wow, how to you feel?
Boy A: OH it was awesome!

Disbelieved with the conversation that we were having, I kept silence. Did he just said “it was awesome?” this was the thought that pass through my mind while my friends continued on to the next topic.

It was then that I realized that human really is an omnivore. Is it really natural instinct that hunting makes our mind and body thrill? I can never…no… I will never want to understand the feeling behind those callous actions! Taking away lives to keep me thrilled and entertained, it is just pure cruelness!
In addition to that, not only do people hunt for pleasure, the main factor that has put numerous animals into the ‘endangered species list’ within these couple of years is due to the fact that increasing number of people hunt for their body part. Skin, horn, fur…you name it… those hunters were blinded by the amount of money they gain from the kill that they had long forgotten about the inhumanness behind it. Is human being really such a barbaric creature?

It is challenging for me in trying to convince people into changing their mindset. Deep within me, I know that having this naïve idea of believing that, ‘maybe my writing is going to make a difference about how people act and behave’, is going to be nothing more than another pointless attempt. Anyone who had tried to persuade others into doing something outré will understand my feeling. This is a fact that i had comprehened a long time ago. I am no one. I’m neither famous nor outstanding...i am really just an ordinary girl…so why should people listen to me? What right do i have or in whose position do i think i am to have these thinking that I might make a difference?
Regardless of all these queries, if I could just make an exception to one person…even if it is just a mere 0.001% chance of me being able to alter a being, that's all it takes for me to give my best shot.




Think about what Steve Irwin, the world greatest wildlife warrior, was trying to express? He went through miles of journey to show the world the amusingness of wildlife, trying hard to abridge the gap between human and other animals, trying to bring across the message that, if you look carefully, we are actually just like any other animals living on this planet! All we are trying to do is just to live our lives to the fullest. Is this a good enough reason to lead us to the elimination of the rest to ensure that we are always the superior one? The answer is simple…no, because, like us, they are giving their best to achieve the same goal. Trying their best to stay alive; trying to survive! To be short, what I’m trying to bring across is that, there will not be any good enough reasons for us to hunt animals.

We cried and mourned after receiving the news about Steve's mishap. We were sad because he was always seemed to be the image representing the wildlife. With his presence, somehow it feels like there is a gleam of hope for the wildlife. The news of his death is almost as if saying that the lifespan of wildlife is soon to be coming to an end.

We were heartbroken when our world greatest hero die. Instead of grieving for him and can do nothing about what had already occurred,why don’t we hold ourselves together and try to fulfil his passion for animals and make this world a more welcoming place to live in?

IF THE BUYING STOPS, THE KILLING WILL TOO!

No comments: